Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer, the Roscongress Foundation
Alexander Stuglev graduated from the Baltic State Technical University (St. Petersburg) in 1996. He began his career in conventions and conferences at Exhibitions-Seminars-Business, where he rapidly rose to the position of general director. In 2006 he became head of Restec Congress, which was the operator of the St. Petersburg International Economic Forum. It was in this position that he contributed to the event’s rebranding under the leadership of the Ministry of Economic Development and Trade of the Russian Federation. In 2007 he became executive director of the St. Petersburg International Economic Forum Foundation, and was appointed director two years later. In December 2015 the SPIEF Foundation was renamed the Roscongress Foundation. In 2018 Stuglev was appointed chairman of the board. At the same time, he was also appointed chairman of the board of the Russian Convention Bureau. In 2019 he completed the managerial personnel reserve programme at the RANEPA Graduate School of Public Management.
In 2020 Stuglev joined the organizing committee of the Masters of Hospitality competition – a nationwide initiative that aims to unlock people’s professional potential, build new traditions, improve standards of service, and raise the level of prestige across all professions in the hospitality industry. In February 2021 he was also appointed head of the Russian Automobile Federation’s Committee for the Development of Digital Platforms, Conventions, and Exhibitions.
Under Alexander Stuglev’s leadership, the Roscongress Foundation has organized and held dozens of major conventions and exhibitions in Russia and across the world. These have been attended by heads of state and government, heads of corporations, business leaders, journalists, and members of the scientific and artistic communities. Examples include the following:
• The St. Petersburg International Economic Forum
• The Eastern Economic Forum (Vladivostok)
• Russian Energy Week (Moscow)
• Russia House in Davos (Russia’s official residence at the World Economic Forum)
• The Russian Investment Forum (Sochi)
• The 21st annual meeting of the Asia-Pacific Parliamentary Forum (Vladivostok)
• The 137th Inter-Parliamentary Union Assembly (St. Petersburg)
• Business forums in Uruguay, Iran, the UK, Cuba, and other countries
• Events held in conjunction with Russia’s chairmanship of APEC, G20, SCO, and BRICS (various regions across Russia)
• The inaugural Russia–Africa Summit and Economic Forum – a groundbreaking event held in 2019 that brought together leaders from all 54 African nations. The event was unprecedented in Russia’s modern history, with nothing of the kind attempted before in the history of Russian-African relations (Sochi)
• Russian Creativity Week (Moscow)
Stuglev was awarded the Order for Service to the Fatherland (2nd class) for his work in organizing the 20th St. Petersburg International Economic Forum. He holds a letter of gratitude from the President of the Russian Federation for his major contribution to organizing the St. Petersburg International Economic Forum and meetings of heads of CIS member states. He holds letters of gratitude from the Federation Council of the Federal Assembly of the Russian Federation for his involvement in organizing the 21st annual meeting of the Asia-Pacific Parliamentary Forum, and for his major contribution to organizing the 137th Inter-Parliamentary Union Assembly. He holds a letter of gratitude from the Government of the Russian Federation for his major contribution to organizing the Russian Investment Forum in Sochi. He also holds a letter of gratitude and certificate of merit from the Federal Agency for Tourism, as well as several letters of gratitude from the governors of St. Petersburg, Arkhangelsk Region, Krasnodar Territory, and Kemerovo Region.