Foreign energy policy is a key strategic priority for the Russian Federation. Its efforts in this area are not only helping to forge mutually beneficial trade links, but also ensuring energy security for the country and its partners. The implementation of international projects is strengthening the position of Russian companies in markets of interest, and raising the general level of competitiveness in the Russian energy industry. Furthermore, international cooperation in energy is helping to address current challenges in economic policy:
• Creating common energy markets within the Eurasian Economic Union
• Establishing the legal and political conditions in Europe for the smooth transit of Russian energy resources
• Developing transport infrastructure, reducing transit risks, and ensuring the competitiveness of Russian fuels
• Improving the efficiency of economic integration with countries in the Asia-Pacific region and increasing the supply of energy resources to growing Asian markets
• Promoting Russian interests in the outcomes of high-level multilateral events
Issues for discussion:
• The globalization of markets and globally responsible energy policy mutual influence and problems?
• Foreign energy policy as a system of long-term priorities and actions. The need to coordinate efforts to ensure predictability in global energy development.
• Russian foreign energy policy in a new environment: traditional and new directions.
• Alternative views of Russias role in global energy. New drivers behind traditional areas of foreign energy policy.
• Cooperation between Russian and foreign energy companies what are the new roles and mutually beneficial prospects?
• The priority of economic viability in a time of sanctions. Attempting to work with foreign partners to adapt to negative conditions.
• Cooperation at the level of international organizations positioning Russia and its potential contribution to a sustainable energy future?
• The role of old (OPEC, IEA) and new (IRENA, GECF) international organizations in the energy sector. Increasing the role of multilateral cooperation formats.